Teacher – Sarah-Louise Bertie
HLTA – Alexis Peck
TA – Pauline Eley
Year 5: Term 1
Land of Hope and Glory
We will be using high quality texts for English. We will produce a wide variety of written pieces and have an awareness of our audience. We will make deliberate choices with our vocabulary and use different sentence lengths in our work. We will begin to use relative clauses (clauses that start with which/when/that etc.) and the present perfect tense ( We have watched tv.) We will begin to use modal verbs in our work (would/should/can etc) and use time (when), place (where) and manner (how) adverbials in our work. We will use a wide range of punctuation in our writing, including commas to mark clauses. We will apply the Y5 spelling patterns we learn in our writing. In reading, we will read with confidence and use evidence to support inference. We will also summarise what we have read.Maths
These are some of the objectives we will be covering:-
- Read, write, order and compare numbers to 10 000.
- Know tenths, hundredths and their decimal equivalences.
- Use formal written methods for addition/subtraction/multiplication and division and solve word problems.
- Use a protractor to measure angles.
- Find factor pairs of numbers.
- Recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions.
- Solve simple percentage problems.
- Read and interpret timetables.
- Know prime numbers.
Science – Properties and changes of materials.
We will compare and group together materials on the basis of their properties. We will learn about solutions. We will learn about reversible and irreversible changes.
Computing – Using technology safely/ The internet and digital research.
We will know the KIDSMART rules and other e-safety portals. We will describe how to ask for help or support. We will learn about the basic structure of the internet and how this information needs to be checked and evaluated.
History – The Battle of Britain
We will learn about why the second world war broke out and who was involved, and who the Allies were. We will learn about the Battle of Britain and how this affected everyday life. We will also learn about evacuation and why children were evacuated.
Geography – The physical features of the UK.
We will identify some of the major mountains, hills and rivers in the UK using maps. We will learn the difference between a hill and mountain and the difference between rivers, lakes and streams. We will also learn about 6 figure grid references.Art – Sculpture (linking with Anthony Gormley)
We will shape, form, model and construct from observation or imagination. We will use recycled, natural and man-made materials to create sculptures. We will also develop our skills in clay.
D.T – Create an Anderson shelter
We will cut wood accurately and join materials using appropriate methods. We will build frameworks using a range of materials and use a glue gun under close supervision.R.E – We will be following the Southwark Agreed syllabus and we will be learning about Sikhism and Buddhism.
Ways in which you can help your child
- Ensure your child reads every night and discuss what has been read.
- Practise spellings.
- Practise the maths objectives listed.
- Do some cooking and find out about reversible and irreversible changes.
- Read/research World War Two and the Battle of Britain.
- Visit the Imperial War Museum.
- Look at OS maps and focus on grid references and different symbols used.
- Create your own sculpture!