WELCOME TO YEAR 5 CLASS
Science: 1st HALF:
ANIMALS INCLUDING HUMANS.
Describe the changes as humans develop to old age
Use sound recording apps and software to make podcast/radio broadcast interviews of personal life stories etc
- Science: 2ND HALF:EARTH AND SPACE
- Describe the movement of the earth and other planets, relative to the sun in the solar system.
- Describe the movement of the moon relative to the earth.
- Describe the sun, earth and moon as approximately spherical bodies.
Use the idea of the earth’s rotation to explain day and night and the apparent movement of the sun across the sky
- Use simulations and animations to show movement of planets, moon etc
- Planet 10 model – create your own planet
Make spreadsheet using data about planet sizes, distance etc
History: THE MAYAN CIVILISATION
- Know what the word ‘civilisation’ means.
- Understand the term ‘Meso-America’ and locate this area on a map.
- Place the Mayan empire on a timeline.
- Know some of the common beliefs of the Maya.
- Use evidence left through buildings to find out about the Maya.
- Investigate Stephen’/Catherwood’s work to find out about Mayan life.
- Learn about everyday life in Mayan times.
- Look at the Mayan use of time.
- Learn about the Day of the Dead festival and how this originated in Mayan times.
Understand some of the reasons why the Mayans disappeared from their cities in AD850.
Research Mayan, Incan and Aztec civilisations and compare and contrast using research grid
ART: Frida Kahlo
- Experiment with wet media to make different marks, lines, patterns, textures and shapes.
- Begin to develop an awareness of composition, scale and proportion in their paintings e.g foreground, middle ground and background.
- Show an awareness of how paintings are created.
- Develop a painting from a drawing.
- Carry our preliminary studies, trying out different media and materials and mixing appropriate colours.
- Mix and match colours to create light effects.
- Be able to identify primary, secondary, complementary and contrasting colours.
Work with complementary colours
Create digital paintings in the style of Kahlo using software painting tools and apps
- Music: Play in ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing instruments with increasing accuracy.
- Improvise music for a range of purposes using the interrelated dimensions of music.
- Listen with attention to detail to sounds.
- Appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music.
Develop an understanding of the history of music..
ICT Opportunities Digital Media
- Record and play back sounds using a digital recording device
Create musical sequences using symbol-based software tools
- Locate North and South America on a map.
- Identify where Mexico is on a map.
- Identify and locate the environmental regions of the North.
- Know the key physical and human characteristics, countries and major cities of North and South America.
Focus on Mexico City and compare the similarities and differences between Mexico City and London, looking at work, population, city size, climate, land use, dwellings etc.
Use digital mapping tools to locate and identify key features and places being studied – take screenshots and annotate
|D.T: Make a Pizza
· Prepare food products taking into account the properties of ingredients and sensory characteristics.
· Select and prepare foods for a particular purpose.
· Taste a range of ingredients, food items to develop a sensory food vocabulary for use when designing.
· Weigh and measure using scales.
· Cut and shape ingredients using appropriate tools and equipment e.g grating.
· Join/combine ingredients appropriately e.g beating, rubbing in
· Decorate appropriately.
· Work safely and hygienically.
· Show awareness of a healthy diet from an understanding of a balanced diet.
Take photos of sequence of cooking – use to make a recipe guide or advert in Word
Computing: Coding, Programming and Computer Games
Identify and de-bug errors in their own/others code
P.E: (see the P.E folder for more guidance)
ICT Opportunities; Digital Media and Tools – Take photos and videos for a purpose, using basic camera tools – zoom and a tripod
R.E – See agreed syllabus for more detail.: CHRISTIANITY – unit 8, HINDUISM – unit 4
Entitlement and Enrichment: The British museum, visit Swanscombe(?)